A Workshop on DirectX 11 was conducted on April 26th and 27th from 10 AM to 6 PM at ICAT, Chennai. The workshop was conducted by Ms. Sujatha Nagarajan from Graxal Games. 18 students from the UG and PG Game Development courses participated in this workshop.
The goal of the workshop was to make the students understand the usage and importance of DirectX 11. To attain this goal, Ms. Sujatha clearly explained the following topics with real-time examples.
- DirectX 11 features and its importance in making AAA titles in industry
- Differences and new features added in DirectX 11 when compared to DirectX 9 & 10
- Geometric Shader, Cube Mapping, Normal Mapping, Shadow Mapping, Stream Output and HLSL features introduced in DirectX 10
- New features like Compute Shader, Tessellation Stages, Hull Shader, Cube Mapping, Normal and Displacement Mapping, and Ambient Occlusion in DIRECTX 11
- Lighting and color in DIRECTX 11
- Texture Snapping in DirectX 11
- Vectors, Matrices and 3D Geometry
After each topic, there was Q&A session to clarify the doubts of students and to keep them in track. The workshop was very informative for the students. At the end of the workshop, one of the student was gifted a “Computer Graphics – Principles and Practice in C” book by the Guest Lecturer for being most interactive.
This was an excellent hands-on workshop for DirectX 11 Graphics programming. Many concepts of DirectX 11 were taught with the implementation of mathematics concepts. The session was an amazing experience. We acquired the knowledge about Computer Graphics, Tessellation, Shaders and the process pipeline. Ms. Sujahta shared her experience in DirectX 11. The Workshop helped us get an idea on the current scenario of the Indian and International Gaming Industry. Overall, the workshop was very good and motivational.